[foxboro] V8 clarifications (was Upcoming device integrators)

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P (IPS)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:21:35 -0400

Re: ATS

Hi, Brian.

Re: ATS
The ATS is the device that allows Nodebus based stations to talk to Mesh
network based stations. It has nothing to do with the host OS on either
network.

Re: Solaris on the Mesh
We currently run Solaris 8 on V7.x boxes. Relatively speaking V8 is reaching
the end of its lifetime. We have a choice then of Solaris 9 or Solaris 10.
Solaris 10 is the newest release - a year or two in commercial release - and
is the clear target for development.

Sun like many vendors has trimmed its legacy code and OpenWindows is one of
the pieces that have been trimmed. That impacts much of our software. Beyond
that, there are other differences that require adjustments.

Of course, the testing burden is the largest single piece of work since
every single application needs to be redone and retested under the new OS.

And don't forget the documentation changes that will be required.

Re: Is this true that we are we waiting for BOTH the ATS and IA v8 for
Solaris?
I'm not sure how to answer this so I'll enumerate all of the answers that I
think you might be interested in:

1) If you want to add to an existing V6/7 system, we have equipment
available to do that.
2) If you want to add a new standalone unit, we have equipment to do that
(V8).
3) If you want to connect a new unit to the existing facility, you need an
ATS. The ATS should be released before year end.
4) If you want Solaris on the Mesh network, it is not yet available and we
do not yet have a release date for it though we have a considerable number
of people working on it.

Re: Can you verify that I/A v8 will (or will not support) DM?
There are no plans to support the DM on V8 workstations (Solaris or
Windows). We are working to improve the display conversion support from DM
to FV by adding the older fonts which were the single biggest problem in
display conversion.

Re: V8 workstations do not have DST issues. Nothing has changed on Solaris
workstations under V6/7 with regard to DST. Are you saying that I/A SUN
boxes and I/A WinTel boxes no longer have DST issues when running I/A v8?
That is correct. DST is handle properly on V8 workstations.

Re: Will I/A v8 support 51B and 51D workstations?
No. We've previously announced that only the 51F and 51G SPARC machines will
be supported by I/A Series V8.

Re: Is this information available on the IA website?
For the public? Not to my knowledge.
For our account representatives? Yes.

Invensys Systems, Inc.
10707 Haddington
Houston, TX 77063
+1 713 722 2859 (voice)
+1 713 932 0222 (fax)
+1 713 722 2700 (switchboard)
alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I hope to see you at the Invensys Process System User Group meeting October
3-6 in Houston, TX -
www.invensys.com/usergroup2005