[foxboro] IEE Configurator

  • From: Neil Martin <neil_martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:43:23 -0600

Concerning some of the questions going around about Infusion on I/A, I
thought I would mention a caution concerning using IEE (Infusion
Engineering Environment) for I/A.  It should be noted that I have not
configured in IEE yet, but I have looked over the shoulder of other
engineers here and heard their discussions and complaints.

One of our plants was apparently the first site of size to upgrade existing
I/A to IEE.  This was done while we were also upgrading to 8.X and the mesh
network.  Though IEE was supposed to have been in use for the previous year
with I/A, the upgrade did not support this.  If you are experienced at I/A
control block configuration and have been doing it a lot of years, you need
to demo IEE using your large compounds by creating new blocks and editing
existing blocks before making the leap to IEE.  Be sure to go through the
motions of creating blocks, trying to find an existing block in large
compound, make block to block connections to between blocks in different
CPs, make a connection where you configure a parameter back to itself to
lock the setting (i.e.  what used to be C:B.Parameter.1), pay attention to
the full pathnames while you are in IEE and compare them to what the full
path name is when it is in the CP, download the CP, etc.  Find out if there
are good replacements for all the utilities that you have been using over
the years, like the "where used" utilities.  Make sure that pathnames in
information that they might dump from IEE via a utility, matches the
pathnames that you expect.  Notice pathname syntax differences, and how
CONTAINERS and STRATEGIES fit it.   Notice that while editing a block,
parameters are grouped under different tabs and their labels are more
descriptive but not the parameter name which means you now have to learn
the correct association of description label to actual parameter name to
make sure you are on the right parameter.  Be sure you find out IEE handles
include files for sequence blocks.

Though they are making changes and improvements, it feels like they are
making I/A control configuration fit into a Wonderware configurator.  As
you can probably tell, we do like the look and feel of IEE for control
block configuration.  The site was using IACC before the upgrade, but
because of some problems with handling include files, one of the new Mesh
areas was left using ICC instead of IEE.  The Engineers commented, that
they sure do like using ICC with the new CP270s.

Neil Martin
Huntsman Performance Chemicals
Dayton & Conroe, TX.