[foxboro] Feedforward control question

  • From: Gregory A Hurwitt <gregory.hurwitt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:41:27 -0500

We have a new distillation tower where the steam to the reboiler will be
controlled by a sump temperature to steam flow cascade loop.  The tower
will be run at various different rates; we would like to use the tower feed
flow rate as a feedforward control signal to the sump temperature
controller.  (Control blocks are PIDA's running in a ZCP270.)

The PSS for the PIDA block states that "Multiplicative feedforward
compensation for a load flow is commonly used in a composition or
temperature control loop."  Based on this and other statements in the PSS's
and Integrated Control Block Description documents for the PIDA/FFTUNE
blocks, I plan to:

1.  Connect the feed flow signal to the MULTIN parameter of the temperature
controller.  Define the range and units of the feed flow signal using the
HSCIN, LSCIN, and EIN parameters.

2.  Build an FFTUNE block and connect it to the temperature controller by
setting the FFTUNE's PIDBLK parameter equal to <PIDAname>.BLKSTA.

3.  Since the feedforward signal will be connected to the PIDA, I will not
connect it to one of the LOADx parameters of the FFTUNE.

Any comments/corrections on #1-3 above or on the general topic of
multiplicative vs. additive feedforward for this application?

Where do I go from here to "train" the FFTUNE?  The documentation is short
and dense.  Is there a more user-friendly "white paper" or other resource?

Should I also be considering the use of a FBTUNE block in conjunction with
(or prior to the implementation of) the feedforward signal and the FFTUNE?
If I can get reasonable tuning of the steam flow and sump temperature loops
under one (or more) typical load condition(s), can I get by without FBTUNE?

Greg Hurwitt
Engineering Associate

E-Mail:  gregory.hurwitt@xxxxxxxx
BASF Corporation