[forthepoor] Re: SEPTEMBER 15TH THE POOR MAN'S MORNING PORTION

  • From: mike mcinnis <ratmotor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 20:33:46 -0400

Greetings sis Reis, et al;

   That man who has been awakened to know his destitution before GOD, cannot help but rejoice with David as he said, "/When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; _What is man, that thou art mindful of him_? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?" (Psa 8:3-/4)  Oh to grace how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be.  We are humbled in the dust to consider that HE has stooped to redeem us who are worthy of nothing but destruction.   Blessed be HIS NAME.

Blessings, mike

On 9/14/2021 4:54 PM, Soraya Reis wrote:

*"As for me I am poor and needy, yet the Lord thinketh upon me." Psalm 40:17*

*My soul, sit down, and reckon up thy true riches. See what are thine outward circumstances, and take an inventory of all thine inward wealth. Thou art, by nature and by practice, one of the children of a bankrupt father, even Adam, who lived insolvent, and died wretchedly poor in himself, having entailed only an inheritance of sin, misery, and death, with the loss of divine favour, upon the whole race of his children. *

*By nature and by practice thou art poor in the sight of God, despised by angels on account of thy loathsome disease of sin; thine understanding darkened; thy will corrupt; passions impetuous, proud, selfwilled; all in opposition to the law of God; exposed to all present evil, everlasting evil; a slave to Satan, a willing captive in his drudgery; hastening daily to death, to the second death, and with an insensibility which is enough to make every heart mourn that beholds thee. Such, my soul, was thy state by nature; and such, and far worse, would have been thy state for ever, had not Jesus interposed, and looked upon thee, and loved thee, when thou wast cast out to perish, and no eye to pity thee, nor help thee from thy ruin. *

*My soul, canst thou now say, though poor and needy, the Lord thinketh upon thee? Oh blessed Jesus! thou dost indeed think upon me, and provide for me, and hast given me to see, to feel, my poverty, need, and misery; and to live wholly upon thee and thy alms from day to day. Yes, Jesus! I would be poor, I would be needy; I would feel yet more and more my nothingness, worthlessness, poverty, wretchedness, that Jesus may be increasingly precious, and thy salvation increasingly dear. Oh for grace, as a poor needy debtor, daily to swell my debt account, that my consciousness of need may make thee and thy fulness increasingly blessed. Let it be my daily motto—" As for me, I am poor and needy; but the Lord thinketh upon me."*

*Robert Hawker (1753-1827)***