[forthepoor] Re: NOVEMBER 25TH THE POOR MAN'S EVENING PORTION

  • From: mike mcinnis <ratmotor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 19:01:23 -0500

Greetings sis Reis, et al;

    I find mr Hawker's comments to be quite interesting and abundant with wise counsel.  How precious a time it is when we gather with family (both natural and especially spiritual) to share a meal.  The LORD JESUS sanctifies those times whenever HE moves us to give thanks unto HIM in the NAME of HIS SON.  There are no substances in the Earth which are in themselves evil.  Let us give thanks for every gift which HE gives.  I was reminded by his comments of how often the LORD's supper is received by men in a sort of rote sacramental manner.   Yet the LORD never instituted a "sacrament" but rather a  memorial.  "/As often as ye eat this BREAD and drink this CUP ye do show (i.e.;manifest) the LORD's death until HE comes."  " Whether therefore ye eat or drink or whatsoever you do do all to the glory of GOD./"  Each time we break bread and drink the cup, may we be found remembering HIM who gave HIMSELF for us, regardless of where we are.

Blessings, mike

On 11/24/2022 2:28 PM, Soraya Reis wrote:

*"For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer." 1 Timothy 4:4, 5*

*I have often thought that there is somewhat in our ordinary meals, and especially the evening meal, which hath a tendency to call up the exercise of grace. Surely our family refreshments should remind us of the Lord's family; and our own supper, of the Lord's supper. The thing itself might well be supposed to call up our attention, and to create holy conversation concerning Him and his table, and of that supper of the Lamb in heaven, at which believers hope very shortly to meet as one family, to rise up no more for ever. And, as at the Lord's table, so at our own; every thing is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. *

*My soul, mark what this scripture saith, concerning our food; "Every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if received with thanksgiving, and sanctified." God's word over it, and the prayer of the faithful offered up with it, gives a sanctified use to all our comforts, and brings with them a double sweetness: And, if, while receiving them, we look to him; so that while the body feeds on his bounties, the soul is fed on his grace; surely the heart feeds with thanksgiving, and every creature is good. *

*Many a poor man, by these means, hath found more of Jesus at his own table, than thousands who perceive not Jesus, do at the Lord's. And to be thus feasted night and morning, every service becomes sacramental; for Christ is still the passover. Lord, make my whole use of the creatures of thy bounty thus sanctified to me, that I may behold and enjoy Jesus in every one!*

*Robert Hawker (1753-1827)*