[FtMiroBrewMasters] Re: Sabco used system

  • From: Chuck Murphy <chuckmurphy1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "fmbrewmasters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fmbrewmasters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 13:09:20 -0500

Sabco makes a great system. Everything that I've read says that the
temperature controls are solid. I figure that the total new price of this
is close to $10,000 and the used price seems very appropriate. (I don't see
the pumps, but I'm assuming they are there.) Forty brews on a system isn't
exactly a lot of wear and tear, but you can probably count on needing to
replace some gaskets just to play it safe. Maybe $100 or so.

One very useful review: http://accidentalis.com/archives/283

Now, if you wanted to spend less money without any DIY, you may look at one
of these:
http://www.morebeer.com/category/morebeer-stainless-brewsculptures.html
They don't have the same level of automation - recipe storage and the like
- but that may or may not be an issue for you. Depending on the system and
the accessories (ie fermenters), the price difference may be a wash.
However, the Morebeer system will do a better job on whirlpooling. (See the
review above.) I suppose you could modify the Sabco system's dip tube to
improve your whirlpooling (Richard and I are talking about this very issue
in his keggle), but the native ability would be better in a Morebeer
sculpture. The biggest reason to whirlpool is clarity and a great deal of
that can be taken care of by using a hop spider (or hop balls) to keep
particulate out. Something like this:
http://www.homebrewing.org/product.asp?itemid=3180&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ProductAds&gclid=Cj0KEQjwkv-rBRDwoMLav-2l9KIBEiQAUTkDUyNKU7ZZr2n8e2sYLzJogzBftCgyQS1lF4coxSdj6o0aAmPU8P8HAQ
or a few of these tea infusers:
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/frontier-natural-products-co-op-stainless-steel-mesh-tea-ball-3-1-unit
Without the hop particulate, you can probably keep the trub to a minimum on
Sabco. If you are still concerned about clarity, you can look into
filtration.

It really is a very good price... and if you can find a fridge or chest
freezer for controlling the temperature on the fermenters, you could have a
truly outstanding *total *package ("Brewers make wort, yeast makes beer.")

Chuck

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 9:46 AM, KnowBeer <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hey guys, need a quick opinion on this used piece of brewing equipment.
Let's just say for brevities sake that I wanted to throw down 6 grand for
this system, would it be worth it? Keep in mind, this is me and I don't
have time to fabricate and piece this together myself so please don't
respond, "you can do it cheaper yourself" :) Just want to know quick pros
and cons to this particular system.

Thanks,
Bart, formerly known as Troy

Sent from my iPhone.
.
.
.
This email was delivered to you via the Fort Miro Brew Masters email list.
Hitting reply will send an email with the same subject heading back to
everyone in the group.

To send a new message on a different subject to members of this group send
an
email to: fmbrewmasters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and create a new subject line.