[flantifracking] Fracking in Broward

  • From: Michelle Gale <drmgale@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Michelle Gale <drmgale@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 01:35:18 +0000 (UTC)

Greetings:
Well, the bad news is that Broward County didn't pass an ordinance against
fracking today because Floridian counties can't do that as the law currently
stands. The good news is that there are nine points at which Kanter Real Estate
is going to have to get Broward County's permission to proceed with its
exploratory drilling, and Broward County is going to deny it. Kanter isn't
going to be drilling for oil in the western part of Broward County--the site
they've targeted is actually a designated water conservation area--and I don't
think anyone else is either. The Commissioners are unanimously opposed, and
hopefully that will be that.
Nineteen people signed up to speak on the issue, and the environmental
organizations of Florida were well represented--including Food & Water Watch,
the Florida Anti-Fracking Coalition, the Audubon Society, the Sierra Club, the
Conservancy of Southwest Florida, the South Florida Wildlands Association--and
that was just among the speakers.
Special thanks to Jennifer Ehrenfried and Lorain McKuil and her patient 14 year
old granddaughter for sitting there all day long and giving wonderful, though
necessarily brief, presentations. I'm proud and happy to be among you all.
Kudos to all,Michelle