[first_defenders] Argh~

  • From: "Tilton" <tilton@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "FDMailer" <first_defenders@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 16:10:59 -0400

About ready to rip my flipping hair out here.
     Went out and got Kris' EQ stuff plus all the hardware for a network
($200+) then I find out that the peice of crap Compaq PC she was going to use
has a MAJOR MoBo problem....it wont work.  Any ideas (besides a sledge hammer)
would be helpful as we just cant afford to buy a new one.  Here are the
symptoms:

First it would start but no signal to the monitor (all that happens is the
l.e.d. next to the power button blinks) Ie black screen like its off.  Tried 2
different monitors, nothing.  At first we thought it was the vid card so I
switched cards (2 agp's and one pci).  Nothing.

Later, out of nowhere, I decided to give it a shot...poof! it gave me that
annoying Compaq logo but nothing beyond that so I decided to put in the refresh
disk <groan>.  Well...it ran through its whole restart process (2 hrs of boring
hell) and everything seemed to run fine.  Untill it had to restart to finish.

Now I'm back to square zero....no monitor but the drives, fans, everything all
seem to be working.  I dont even get a response (beeps, clicks) from the
keyboard or mouse.  The only thing that I've found from Compaq is that I need
to take it to a service center, just to have them tell me (probably) that its a
major fix and that it'll cost me more than we have in our account now.

If anyone else has one of these peices of shyte and had the same prob and fixed
it, could you enllighten me?  As it is, I'm very tempted to take all my spare
parts and stuff them into the case and have at it all with a double - bitted
axe and hammer.  When it comes to my money, nothing pisses me off more than a
crappy job building an expensive peice of equipment.

One last note...anyone out there who builds systems, I'll be more than happy to
forward on ALL my puter parts and cpu's (besides my new Dell) plus an extra
monitor if you're willing to put all that stuff up for a partial trade for a
new system that will run eq for Kris (this is kinda her b-day present)  <g>.

Later...loading the shotgun
Earl (Degan / Sinistraad)