[fhs-65] ANNUAL MEMORIAL DAY REMINDER

  • From: Karen Hutmacher <karenm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Freeport Pretzels site <fhs-65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 10:45:05 -0500

_*FOR LOCALS: *_  If you possibly can, be sure to drive thru Chapel Hill Cemetery this weekend.  Even if you think you don't know one person buried there, I promise you that you do.  The small flags have been on individual military markers several days already and today the big flags lining both sides of all the "roads" are already up and blowing in the breeze.   The cemetery is awash in flowers.  It is truly a wonderful site and we are fortunate to have the weather co-operate this year.   I'm not sure about today or tomorrow, but if you drive thru on Monday, be sure to go in the main entrance (Highway 26) and someone will hand you an amazing pamphlet that lists EVERY veteran buried there BY YEAR...  It's very sobering just to see the sheer number of them.   Reading thru the list, you will be amazed at names that you recognize.   You might also want to stop and visit the Veteran's Court of Honor - a small area honoring veterans.   (P.S. Link below.  There is now a statue there of a small child welcoming Daddy home that is very touching and I don't think that shows in these pictures.)

https://chapelhillfreeport.com/military-veterans/

Karen