strange SMTP addresses and domain names

  • From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 01:27:57 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

On a new Exchange 2003 Server I noticed that a few existing mail-enabled
users have SMTP addresses, but the email address format is unfamiliar to
me.  It is something lime this:

user1@xxxxxxxxx

Instead of what I would expect:

user1@xxxxxxxx

The server AD domain happens to be mail01.abcd.abcd, and the AD domain is
abcd.abcd.  Is there a connection between the AD domain name and SMTP
address as some kind of "default" SMTP address?

To add real "external" SMTP addresses, do I simply delete these SMTP
addresses and replace with the real ones?  Or must I keep these AD domain
SMTP addresses and add the external ones as well?  If so, what would I
lose by deleting the AD domain SMTP addresses?  Is there any information
on this format for SMTP addresses in Exchange and what it means etc.?

TIA!
Mike