RE: postmaster address

  • From: "Fares Rihani (Personal)" <Fares@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:19:25 -0400

This comes form the Exchange Server help files:
=====
Set the SMTP Postmaster Account

When a message cannot be delivered to someone in your organization, that
person will receive a non-delivery report (NDR). All NDRs in your
organization will be sent with the SMTP postmaster's address in the From
line. Therefore, whenever someone replies to an NDR, either to report
the delivery failure or to seek help in diagnosing the situation, this
is the account that will be contacted.

For this reason, you should use an alias that will proxy replies to
someone, or a valid SMTP e-mail address, such as user@<domain>.com,
where <domain> is your organization's default domain. Internet users who
get an NDR will then be able to reply to it and contact someone who can
help them. At the very least, your organization will be made aware of
the delivery problem.

To set the SMTP postmaster account:

Start Active Directory Users and Computers: On the Start menu, point to
Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory
Users and Computers.

Expand the domain in which the account resides, and then click Users.
In the details pane, right-click the account that will receive
postmaster mail for your domain, and then click Properties.

In the Properties dialog, click the E-mail Addresses tab, and then click
New.
In New E-mail Address, click SMTP Address, and then click OK.
In Internet Address Properties, type postmaster@<domain>.com, where
<domain> is your organization's default domain name.

=====
In this case you would only be changing the domain of the postmaster
email address, which is probably the Administrator user.

Good luck.
-Fares