RE: hi

  • From: "Kenny Mann" <Kennymann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:43:19 -0500

> 1) Can i use my cable internet provider smtp and send mail to internet
like allwyn_p23@xxxxxxxxx

Depends. Some broandband companies block ports or only allow http
traffic.

>2) Can i receive mails from internet, if yes pls let me know how, bcos
i am a bit confused with this
For someone who setup Active Directory in Windows 2000, this is an
intersting question.
How did you learn of Exchange 2000?
If you knew very little about email, why did you purchase Exchange 2000?
(ok.. don't answer that..)
Perhaps http://www.google.com and http://www.amazon.com would be a
better resource.
You can learn much from the internet and books.
John was kind enough to point out that email is a RESPONSIBILITY.
With freedom comes forever vigilance. If you servers gets infected with
a virus or hijacked by hackes because you didn't update, and all of a
sudden you get blacklisted to every RBL on the planet, that is your
fault. Please, oh please, do not come to this list going: "I cant send
email anywhere, I get this bounce back saying something about being
blacklisted, what is this 'blacklist'?" Bouncebacks generally have an
explantion, research it. [Sometimes they aren't very helpful].

I must admit, before a year and a half ago, I knew very little of email.
Subscribing to this list has taught me many things (most of which, I
just read passivly and caught keywords and googled them). I suggest you
do the same. If you every hear a word you don't understand, google it.
I'll give yo uyour first word to research (out of the kindness of my
heart ;-)   ) ::  SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)

Look it up. Learn how it works. Learn why it works. Learn why it's so
great. Learn why it sucks so much.
You must aquire troubleshooting skills to ask these questions.
I notcied you had no mention of a firewall... that should be your next
thing to research.
IPTables, ISA Server, etc.
These things should become your third..(or  fourth, depending on your
gender) leg .

It's not the question you asked that pissed some of us off, it's HOW you
asked it. You sounded ignorant.
Had you asked something like: "I want to setup my server and learn how
things works so I can become <insert power word of choice ;
great,ungodly,badass,etc> with it, does anyone have any suggestions for
books?" or even better, go through the archive for the word: "BOOK".
Never underestimate the power of the archives.

Good luck and have a wonderful day! (As I type this email, I start
thinking..:hmm.. I remember being at that level at a point. Perhaps I
should write a page to at last give people a start.. YES, that is my
goal for the weekend! *Evil opera music plays in the background*

Kenny Mann