RE: SMTP Service

  • From: "Mark Fugatt" <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 20:01:33 -0400

Did you read this one:

Mark Fugatt
MCSE, MCT, Microsoft Exchange MVP
Pentech Office Solutions Inc
Rochester, NY
Tel: 585 586 3890
Cell: 585 576 4750
http://www.4mcts.com <http://www.4mcts.com/>
http://www.exchangetrainer.com <http://www.exchangetrainer.com/>

  _____

From: Bob Grommes [mailto:bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 7:58 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: SMTP Service

http://www.MSExchange.org/

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the lead.  There really wasn't anything very relevant arising
from a straight forward search for "SMTP Relay" (with or without quotes),
however, following a long rabbit trail of links that started in a
tangentially relevant article, I was able to locate a document with very
relevant content about a third of the way through:

www.isaserver.org/img/upl/exchangekit/2003messagescreenerintrelay/2003messag
escreenerintrelay.doc

One must add the domains you want to restrict receiving to, to the Domains
node beneath the virtual SMTP server.  I had been slogging through the
properties of the service itself, and what is done with the domains is not
clear from the UI or the help.  Apparently, only the remote domains listed
accept incoming mail, but if you have no remote domains, it accepts all
comers.  Strange design.

Now that I've done this, and allowed anonymous connection, I can receive
bounces, and I am not an open relay (not strictly -- any mail is accepted by
the service, but nothing is actually forwarded for delivery unless it's
addressed to my domain). However, any mails sent outright to my domain
bounce with an SMTP 5.3.5 config error, which is some kind of loop back
problem.  Anyone have insight into that?  Again, extensive Googling is not
getting to the heart of this.  I only have one virtual SMTP server, and no
connectors to Exchange or anything else.

Best,

--Bob