RE: SMTP Service

  • From: "Bob Grommes" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:57:51 -0700

MessageHi Thomas,

Thanks for the lead.  There really wasn't anything very relevant arising from a
straight forward search for "SMTP Relay" (with or without quotes), however,
following a long rabbit trail of links that started in a tangentially relevant
article, I was able to locate a document with very relevant content about a
third of the way through:

www.isaserver.org/img/upl/exchangekit/2003messagescreenerintrelay/2003messagescreenerintrelay.doc

One must add the domains you want to restrict receiving to, to the Domains node
beneath the virtual SMTP server.  I had been slogging through the properties of
the service itself, and what is done with the domains is not clear from the UI
or the help.  Apparently, only the remote domains listed accept incoming mail,
but if you have no remote domains, it accepts all comers.  Strange design.

Now that I've done this, and allowed anonymous connection, I can receive
bounces, and I am not an open relay (not strictly -- any mail is accepted by
the service, but nothing is actually forwarded for delivery unless it's
addressed to my domain). However, any mails sent outright to my domain bounce
with an SMTP 5.3.5 config error, which is some kind of loop back problem.
Anyone have insight into that?  Again, extensive Googling is not getting to the
heart of this.  I only have one virtual SMTP server, and no connectors to
Exchange or anything else.

Best,

--Bob