RE: RPC over HTTP unable to configure the client--Please help

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:39:37 -0400

Praveen,

When you configure an Outlook profile, the Outlook always tries to
connect to Exchange server using RPC to resolve the user name. Hence if
you are trying to create a profile from outside of a DMZ, your profile
creation will give errors since the RPC protocol is blocked. Yes, you
need to have RPC protocol enabled between your FE and BE servers. When
you create the Outlook profile, your Exchange server name should be the
BE server name, not the FE server name. If you use the FE server name,
Outlook will not recognize your user name and Exchange server name. If
you are trying to create the profile from outside the DMZ, then you have
click OK ..OK as the error messages pop up about un resolvable name. But
make sure the exchange server name you put in is the BE server name not
the FE. Once the profile creation ends, you can verify the profile
settings again. Although the names are not resolved, the profile should
be pointing to the BE server, and your RPC/HTTP settings should be
pointing to the FE server, which I believe is also your RPC proxy. Then,
you can open Outlook normally, if every thing is configured correctly in
your FE server, then your Outlook NOW RESOLVE YOUR USERNAME. Your
Outlook should work normally.
Another suggestion, its not a good idea or good practice to place the FE
server in the DMZ. By doing this, you are bringing the presence of your
corporate domain to the DMZ. Its always best to leave the FE server in
the corporate domain, and use an ISA server in the DMZ to publish OWA
and RPCoHTTP.

HTH.
Regards,
Raj Periyasamy