RE: Modify GAL

  • From: "Hite, Ronald L" <rhite@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:31:43 -0600

I'll answer these to the best of my knowledge...

1. Can we also add and delete addresses from GAL using ADSI?
>>>  Yes, this is a little tricky as the addresses are in a few different
>>> fields of the user object.  For example, the primary SMTP address is
>>> referenced as the "rfc822Mailbox" property while any secondary addresses
>>> would fall into a mulitvalued property named "proxy-addresses".

2. Is there any other APIs then ADSI to do that?
>>>  I don't know.  Unfortunately, I only use vbscript, so I am unfamiliar with
>>> other APIs.

3. Can we do it using CDO?
>>>  I believe you are using CDO when interacting with the Exchange 5.5
>>> directory.  I'm not sure of the interaction of ADSI and CDO, but I was told
>>> CDO is used to access the directory even though you're using ADSI.(?)

4. What kind of permission is required to modify GAL?
>>>  I believe this would be "Service Account Admin" permissions.(?)

5. Can we update all the fields/attributes in GAL?
>>>  I have not received any errors while updating, but have not tried to
>>> modify all attributes.

I think you could locate more concrete answers on MSDN.  I know the attributes
are defined there and would indicate whether the attribute is read-only or
read-write.

For starters:
  ADSI and Exchange 5.5

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ds2x/hh/ds2x/exds_ds2exchgd_85wl.asp
  ADSI basics
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/exchserv/html/directry_3igl.asp

In regards to code, I have code to create a mailbox, update a small set of
attributes on a mailbox and assign users to a DL.

Ron