[ExchangeList] Re: Hosted Exchange

  • From: "Michael B. Smith" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 17:31:21 -0400

Eh...

Unlimited claims have been around for a long time and probably aren't going
away.

On average, the hosting company will probably make money. If they don't,
after a while they'll cancel the program. The enticement is to get folks to
feel as if they won't get nickel-and-dimed to death (which I can assure you
- many hosting companies are happy to do to you - with disk space overages
being the largest portion of that).

Unlimited disk space is a common promise in hosting, but you really have to
investigate what that means. Do they do backups? How often? Can they recover
your mailbox if it fails? How long does that take? Do they have failover?
What happens to email during failover? Blah-blah-blabity-blah (to quote
Steve Ballmer). Do your due diligence.

The same for unlimited bandwidth. Most hosting companies will allow any
given website to have "unlimited" bandwidth, but will limit the bandwidth to
a given server and/or limit the processing utilization that a particular
website can consume. It isn't all roses. Again - do your due diligence.

I've written probably a half-dozen published articles on this plus another
half-dozen on my blog. Just make sure what you are getting into.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith, MCITP:SA,EMA/MCSE/Exchange MVP

My blog: http://TheEssentialExchange.com/blogs/michael

Monitoring Exchange w/OpsMgr now available  <http://snurl.com/45ppf>
http://snurl.com/45ppf