RE: GFI Mail Essentials

  • From: John Mason <John.Mason.Jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:46:26 -0500

Just over a year ago when I was in the same position, I was looking at
building my own spam filter using the open source tools availible on the
Linux platform. I wanted something that could use DNSBLs and spam assassin,
well I found mimedefang and decided to start to build my own when the author
of mimedefang came out with a nice user interface and I was sold, plus the
commercial product CanIt was designed from the ground up to avoid loss of
valid mails, while including integrated antivirus checking.

As you look at various tools, look at how flexible the platform is so that
you can quickly adjust to spammers as they are a slippery, slimy target.
With the CanIt interface I can quickly add rules to filter based any
characteristic of the email.

And by using CanIt you can take advantage of DCC the Distributed Checksum
Clearinghouse, a very efficient spam identifier (no false positives in 8
months of use).

http://www.canit.ca
http://www.mimedefang.org

And another site for setting up Linux based servers

http://linux-sxs.org/index2.html

John Mason