Exchange Mail Relay server running IIS 5.0

  • From: Chris Wall <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:43:09 -0500

Hello all,

   I have an exchange 5.5 infrastructure that forwards all outbound e-mail
to a seperate server running IIS 5.0 (for GFI Mail Essentials and Mail
Security).

   My question is, in IIS under the 'Default SMTP Virtual Server' there is a
sub category called 'Current Sessions.'  In this category, there are always
multiple connections that show various 'Connected Times'.  I understand that
these are connections from remote mail servers that are delivering mail, but
why do some of these remain connected for Extended period of time?  As an
example, there are connection times ranging from 6 seconds up to 600
seconds...  Why?

  I have this service locked down to prevent relaying, so I am sure that we
are not an open relay.  I have included a screen shot of this issue for you
to look at.