[ExchangeList] Exchange 2003 contact routing handled differently

  • From: Douglas Long <admindoug@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:26:41 -0400

I am not sure if I missed something long ago, or this is acting weird. If I have a domain catdog.com that my Exchange org is serving, shouldn't all messages sent to @catdog.org from internal MAPI clients stay within Exchange?

What is happening (Exchange 2003) ....

I have a contact jdaily with smtp address of jdaily@xxxxxxxxxx. Of course there is no Exchange mailbox for this address or it wouldn't be a contact. I would figure messages to this address would just be bounced, but instead are forwarded onto a UNIX host which forwards messages to various addresses (like a dist group).

Can anyone explain this? I am at a loss.

Thanks,

Doug