Disaster Recovery Exchange 2K with Win2K AD

  • From: Calderón Vilches Luis Daniel <Daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:30:53 -0500

Hi everybody,

This is my first time in the list, so I hope you could give me more ideas.

Have the following environment:

A Win2k DC which also is Exchange2K server, this is the lonely server in the
organization, I call it THE server.

This DC has problems with some FSMO roles with impact on the end users: things
like we can not add more machines to the domain. However, the AD tools run ok,
even I can add users or groups to the domain, only if I run it locally on the
server, of course.
I have received the server with this problems from a previous administration.

The thing is: I want to reinstall the server.
BUT I have this problems:
- I need to preserve the AD accounts in order to associate them with their
mailboxes once I have restored the exchange services.
- I think that a System State backup of the server will preserve the accounts,
BUT maybe also preserve the misconfigurations I described.

Has anybody experienced with a similar situation??
Any suggestions will be well received.
10xs!!!

Daniel