Configure Exchange 5.5 as front end server

  • From: Rajnish Malik <RajnishM@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]' (exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:44:44 +0200

Dear Friends,

I have a scenario for you.

I have 2 site named Site A and Site B

On Site A I have the following servers:-

Srv1 --> Having ISA, Exchange 5.5 (Mailbox & OWA, mainly used as SMTP), IIS,
acting as domain controller

Srv2 --> Having Domain controller (Master)

Srv4 --> Having windows 2000 and Exchange 5.5 IMC (All in coming mails &
Archiving)

Site B:-

Srv5 --> Windows 2000 Replica Domain controller for site A, Exchange 5.5
server- member of same site as of Site A.

Solution required:-

We need to install a new Server on Site A which will be exchange 2000
server. This server has to be a member server to existing domain and will
maintain user's mailbox but has to act as a backend server for Srv1 in Site

If I use Microsoft Swing method to move the mailboxes. What will be the
effect on existing exchange servers? Will Srv1 act as a front end server? If
not, how can I configure the existing exchange 5.5 to act as a front end
server for the newly installed exchange 2000 server?

Regards,

Rajnish Malik