RE: Bridgehead Exchange Server Build

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:20:16 -0500

Silly people those softies ;)

It makes perfect sense. What he's saying is to create a server that does
nothing but handle the SMTP traffic to/from the internet gateways.  Your FE
server in the DMZ is for OWA and I assume that's all it does.

To prevent the traffic from having to go to the DMZ for restriction
processing, the softie wants you to create a separate FE server dedicated to
that process.

Basically, you want to have a server that handles SMTP traffic and
restrictions, so you basically want something with processor and disk
spindles.  Not a lot, but some more than a standard web server, right.  I'd
approach it like this: dual proc machine with some memory (1-2GB would
likely be more than enough), enough spindles to off-load the log files and
the SMTP Queue (since that's what it does, right?).  In HPQ terms, that
would likely be a DL380 machine with 6 spindles in RAID 1 x 3 configuration
(three mirror sets).  Not too large of drives, but 36GB would be likely.
All of this depends on the expected message traffic, but it's primary job is
to check restrictions and route mail. That infers you'd want to be able to
withstand some backed up SMTP queues, hence the space/spindles.  SMTP also
does better if you remove the disk bottleneck.  SMTP is write heavy,
previously estimated for planning at 7:1 w/r signature.

To install a server as a FE server, install it into the ORG.  Configure the
disk layout. Designate it as a FE server. Configure your connector to use
that server as the brideghead. In case of failure, re-configure the
connector to your BE master server.

What confuses me, is what the purpose of the BE master server is? If it's
not doing anything, why not use it?  If it services mailboxes, then never
mind.

As a side note, it's likely that you would want to off-load RUS and DG
expansion to this machine as well, if you can get away with it. Just a
thought though.

Does that make sense?

Al