email bounced for no apparent reason

  • From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:03:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I have a strange one.  A user sent an email to another user, both being on
the same Exchange server (i.e. configured users on the Exchange Server).
The email bounced to the sender with this error message to the sender:

The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this
message was sent to.  Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient
directly to find out the correct address.

            <xyz.ourexchangeserver.com #5.1.1>

But the recipient email account positively exists, and has been there for
some months.  Earlier and subsequent emails succeeded without a problem.
And others can send to this same user.

I checked the the relevant log file under \Program Files\Exchsrvr\XYZ.log
directory, and there is no trace at all of this email having been sent by
the sender (I looked pretty carefully using searches etc.).  Yet she
received an error message from the server.

Any suggestions where I should look next?

Mike