[exabelux] Re: 18 th november and next gathering

  • From: "Van Rengen, Ivo" <ivanrengen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "exabelux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <exabelux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 21:23:17 +0000

Hello Philippe,

All proposed dates work for me.
Hot topics for me:
* Exadata and Oracle VM.
* Pluggable databases are on my wish list. If anyone has gained practical
experience with those, I'm definitely interested.
* Disaster recovery and failover processes/procedures.
* Compression. Yes/No ? When (not) ? Pitfalls ?

Regarding database links; We copy data from one database to another over
database link daily and the transfer rate is about 32.7Mbytes/s.
Some background info:
* Source and target are within the same exadata rack and both are 2-node
rac-databases sharing the same database machines.
* The rack is an X5 Quarter Rack with high-capacity disks.
* Source and target are both Oracle 11.2.0.3 databases
* Query executed is 'INSERT INTO target SELECT * FROM source@sourcedb';
no where-clauses.
* Target tables do not have any index or constraint defined.

On our non-production environment we reached 29.3 Mbytes/s under next
conditions:
* Source and target are within the same exadata rack and both are
single-node rac-databases. Source and target reside on a different node within
the same rack.
* The rack was an X3 Quarter Rack with high-capacity disks.
* Source and target are both Oracle 11.2.0.3 databases.

This non-prod throughput dropped to 25.6Mbytes/s after moving the non-prod
environment to a 2 node Oracle VM-cluster on an X3 with high performance disks
a few weeks ago.

Regards,
Ivo