[euralex] Re: End of print dictionaries at Macmillan

  • From: Sander Bekkers <Sander.Bekkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'lexicografie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lexicografie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "DSNA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <DSNA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'michael.rundell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <michael.rundell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Gilles-Maurice de Schryver' <gillesmaurice.deschryver@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 16:16:58 +0100

Dear Friends,

I thought that the view on this matter from a fellow dictionary Publisher could
give you, as the international dictionary community, some added insight as to
what is happening out there in the marketplace. What we have observed over the
last decade is much loss of ground to free online dictionaries and initiatives
to develop dictionaries by public funding. In particular the incidental users
such as employees of companies or people at home tend not to spend money on
dictionaries any more but use free online dictionaries instead. Free online
dictionaries on the other hand never seem to disappear from the web, on the
contrary: they are improving every year.

That great dictionary brands grow to a status of unassailability and over the
passage of time fall into decline is of all ages. In recent years you could see
it happen in the Netherlands where two great different Brands disappeared
(Verschueren and Kramers) and two other Brands grew and strengthened. These two
remaining brands in the Netherlands and Belgium (Flanders) are Van Dale and
Prisma, the brand I work for.

Regarding the underlying marketing mechanism which has a major effect on this
development, you can see that success in a market is secured by the principle
that in a developed market there is only room for three competitors and among
these competitors there is only one leader. In most cases you see a Market
leader is also  the authority on the subject and unless I am not much mistaken
that would be Oxford in the English language market.  The Cost leader, a
competitor known for their moderate pricing, and the Innovator, the brand known
for its advanced products, and if it plays its cards right, the next market
leader.

I ask myself if Macmillan could be one of these brands in the UK. The difficult
market situation within as well as all the free dictionaries on the internet
has made mm's position very difficult. The decision to continue business on the
internet as a free dictionary is therefore not only be the result of a new
vision on dictionary publishing, but also the result of a calculated evaluation
on market position. To transform this into a new beginning as Macmillan is
doing, is a very strong and admirable move, however the question is, if this
isn't already too late. The internet competition is already fierce. In Germany
Pons tried to compete with another free dictionary, Leo, but did not succeed,
even though their product was state of the art.

In conclusion I do not think this is the answer to saving commercial
lexicography. What we need are entrepreneurs who are capable of reinventing
commercial lexicography over and over again and of being there to serve all who
study and practice language.

Kind Regards,

Sander Bekkers
Publisher

PUBLISHER PRISMA, UITGEVERIJ UNIEBOEK|HET SPECTRUM BV
P.O. BOX 97, 3990 DB HOUTEN | PAPIERMOLEN 14-24, 3994 DK HOUTEN | THE
NETHERLANDS
T +31 (0) 30 265 06 01 | F +31 (0)30 265 08 50 | M +31 (0) 6 50 989 382
Sander.Bekkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Sander.Bekkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| www.unieboekspectrum.nl<http://www.unieboekspectrum.nl>  |
www.prisma.nl<http://www.prisma.nl/>