[euralex] Re: End of print dictionaries at Macmillan

  • From: "Dr. Nazih Kassis" <nazih@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <michael.rundell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'José Aguirre' <jaguirreuk@xxxxxxxxx>, <euralex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gillesmaurice.deschryver@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 10:23:38 +0200

Dear All,

Change and development is inevitable in our progressive world! There is no harm
in having digital dictionaries online! They will be available all over the
world simultaneously on the Internet. Our students in the future will be happy
to have them, as they will be available to them (on their mobile) wherever and
whenever they need them. Bilingual and multilingual dictionaries will be also
available. I suppose all the information in the present paper dictionaries will
be uploaded also online! The user will have access to any dictionary in
seconds! At home, we will have them on our computers!  They are friendly and do
not cause strain to the eyes (as we can enlarge fonts!), while paper
dictionaries are in small script, which is tiresome!

The only worrying thing is if these dictionaries will be available through paid
subscription or free of charge! The students buy a paper dictionary once in a
few years, but they will have to pay for subscription to more than one
dictionary every year, which will be very expensive to them!

Don't worry! Be happy to have digital dictionaries online, if they are free of
charge!

Dr Nazih Kassis, lexicographer,

The Academic Arab College for Education,

Haifa,

Israel

+ 972 4 9884843

+ 972 507 665668