[etni] the right place for HOTS

  • From: Gillian Schiller <gill.schiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 07:44:08 +0200

Adele asks us to suggest changes to the programme. My suggestion is this: if
we want to teach HOTS, the most natural place for this is* in the reading
comprehension programme*. In order to successfully tackle an unseen (and
this is especially true when our students reach higher education, and have
to deal with* real *academic articles, several pages long), students must
know how to predict, compare, draw conclusions and so on. These are vital
skills needed when dealing with texts, so *this* is the natural home for
HOTS.
   When teaching literature to non-native speakers, we are already doing
several things. We are teaching the story or poem as a foreign language
text, which the students need to understand (so we need to teach vocabulary
and so on ), and we are also teaching a piece of literature, which we hope
they can enjoy and appreciate. This is already a lot to deal with. To add in
another objective here - teach them HOTS - seems to me to be overload. So my
suggestion about how to change the programme would be - let's just teach
literature the way we have been doing, and the way that the rest of the
world does it, as far as I know. We teach vocabulary and comprehension, we
discuss the plot and the characters and the language....we come up with all
kinds of activities, and we hope that our students understand, enjoy and
learn. Why do we need to reinvent the wheel?
Gill

--
Gillian Schiller

Tel:  +972 77 7519058