[etni] the "love" of literature and book reports

  • From: Avi Granit <judiavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 00:03:07 +0300

I would like to remind teachers that love of literature and reading in L1 is
not the same as in L2.  How many of you native English teachers out there are
like me in that you love reading and literature so much in L1 that you cannot
or will not do it in L2 as it loses its great pleasure factor?
Perhaps I am an exception but,I think not, in that I have only forced myself to
read books in Hebrew twice.  And yes, it was by force and I did not enjoy the
books nearly half as much as I would have in English (I even enjoy Hebrew
writers translated into English more than reading in the original Hebrew.....I
know... tut tut.... - shoot me!).

I know that many of my pupils are regular book worms in Hebrew, do not need me
to inspire the love of literature or book reading in them as they already have
it in their L1.   The difficult task is to get them to plough through a book in
English, it usually takes them much longer, it is often frustrating and so much
less enjoyable for them than reading in L1.    I know exactly how they feel
which is why I even read the Israeli newspapers in English (and I know that
there are many of you out there like me!).  Do not get me wrong, my Hebrew is
fluent, I converse with my family in Hebrew and attend lectures without
difficulty......reading, however, is different.

I'm sure there are pupils out there who begin reading books in English (their
L2) and develop a love of reading from this...but lets be honest, they are the
exception.   Let's remember that many of our students have the love of
literature and reading but still do not want to pick up a book in English.

Judi G.