[etni] Re: recordings

  • From: "lev" <lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:02:11 +0200

A controversial issue.

On the one hand, most of us would probably prefer a reusable medium, and =
in
this sense, tapes are better. On the other hand, almost no-one owns a
walkman anymore - most kids use portable CD players (diskman), many are
switching for MP3 players (iPod etc).

My own experience: it is easier to convince them to bring a diskman than =
walkman.

Hence, I suggest using a regular computer + a microphone (I bought a =
clip-on
mike at Office Depot for NIS 12 - works fine) to create .wav files which =
can
then be copied onto an audio CD. The same vendor - OfficeDepot - carried =
BenQ CD burner (NIS 200), and blank CD-Rs go for 1.68 when bought in =
packs
of 100.

There are several freeware audio editors that can be downloaded, are =
easy to
use and produce good quality recordings. If there is enough interest I =
will
create a tutorial on using CD burners and put it on our site.

I have used this arrangment for my LD students at the college for over =
two
years; very convenient. If you keep your files, you can also encode them =
as
MP3 - then kids can downlaod them of the school site as listening
comprehension drills, as soon as you decide you won't be using these
materials for testing. MP3 encoders are freeware as well.

Disclaimer:=20

1. I have no vested interest in OfficeDepot. :)=20

2. Any resemblance between the so-called OfficeDepot in this message and =
the
real OfficeDepot stores is purely coincidental.

Lev

Lev ABRAMOV <lev[at]schiffman.biz>
The Shiffman Institute www.schiffman.biz