[etni] penalties of oral testing

  • From: "JUDY" <judyv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:44:16 +0200

Dear ETNI  readers,
I would like to share with you my last experience of oral testing and the
financial penalty I received as a direct result of testing.

This is what happened to me personally:

>My school was asked to test at another school in this region. I got in touch
>with >the Coordinator and requested that we test either on the last day of the
>Passover holiday or on the Friday which is our free day. The school did not
>agree as this presented them with difficult logistical problems.
>
>Therefore we tested on aThursday at the request of the other school. I sat
>with the >person in charge of the 'Maarechet' at my school and arranged the
>timetable so that she would >only have to replace us in one lesson.
>
>The following month when I got my salary  I saw that my own school had
>deducted 340 shekels because of the one lesson that I had missed. I
>protested at this and was told that I was paid for testing and that as far
>as they are concerned I had missed a full day's teaching and the school wrote
>down the day I had tested as a 'personal absenteeism'.. Whilst it is true
>that I was paid for testing - I was paid only 200 shekels. So to all
>intents and purposes I had paid 140 shekels for the privilege of testing
>!!! I feel that this is a gross injustice and to say I am furious is
>putting it mildly!
>
>The other testers from my school were not financially penalised as I was
>because they had >'yamei Hatsara'  that they had not used and got round it
>that way and the school >did not deduct money from their salary. I did not
>have 'yamei hatsara' because I >got divorced this year and used my two days
>because I had to go to court.

>These are the points that I am trying to make:

>1) 'Yamei Hatsara'  are supposed to be for personal reasons, usually sickness,
>and not because >another school finds it convenient for us to test on that day
>and we have no alternative but to agree(we were >willing to test either on a
>Friday or during the holiday)
>2) Teachers who have used their 'Yamei Hatsara' will lose money when they test
>>because testing pays less well than the average teaching day of  a mora
>vatika.
>3) My school maintains that this day was a private absenteeism and that is
>the reason that they deducted a full day's salary. But I was fulfilling my
>obligation as an English teacher who prepares for Bagrut. I protest that
>this day is considered a private matter and I don't want to use my  'Yamei
>Hatsara' for this reason as I have a son going into the army and I know I will
>need these days for ceremonies, recruitment day etc.
>
>4) I don't object at all to testing on my free day which is what we have
>done in the past- but now our free day is Friday none of the other schools
>will accept that we test on this day. This leaves no alternative but to test
>on a school day, which means that our salary will be deducted.
>
>The way I feel at the moment is that if I have to pay 140 shekels again
>next year for the privilege of testing I will simply refuse to test unless
>this matter is addressed in an official capacity.
> [...]

I look forward to hearing from anyone who had a similar problem and am
interested to know how other schools dealt with this problem.

Regards to all Etni readers of this e-mail
Judy Vinograd - coordinator Maale Habsor