[etni] getting around the school grade- Bagrut

  • From: "laurie ornstein" <laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ask_Etni <ask@xxxxxxxx>, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:52:44 +0300

Hi All,

 I know this issue was discussed this semester but as we faced Bagrut day,
it's resurfaced.

 Why bother doing projects, book report portfolios, literature and all the
"extras" when you get around it? I'm a stickler for doing all the required
work and using the NBA formula to calculate grades. This year a significant
number of pupils in my school figured out that it wasn't worth their while
to do all their assignments above since they can "disappear" their school
grade after taking the exam once and redoing it as an external pupil
afterwards and get a grade on the exam only. So this is what they've done.
It's the first time in all my teaching years I've had a long list of
failures, mostly due to the fact that the kids decided not to invest in
doing "unnecessary" work. Needless to say, I spoke with them begged and
pleaded....
Your conclusions?!

Laurie  - a frustrated worn-out teacher

PS Ruth's words - you said it!