[etni] fw: to all members

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:32:48 +0200

From: Howard Hanan Sibirsky - howdon@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: to all members jan 15 06

To all members who wrote an opinion or comment on my evaluation
of grammar teaching in Israel: Thank you.

I was so happily surprised to have received 14 reactions to
my thoughts. All but 2 have been very positive.
These are direct copies of some of the e-mails.

Some quotes: (senders' names withheld)

"...thank you for reminding us again how not to teach english. could
you elaborate on your way of teaching english? could you suggest
any textbooks that are more effective than others?"

"...saw your letter on etni. please tell me how to teach so kids
learn. don't tell me t.v. because i can't show "telenovas" at my school.
and my class sizes are from 20-35 girls.
help,"

"I've been saying what you wrote about for years-how nice to see you
expressing it."

"I totally agree and am inspired by what you write. My problem is that
I have NO role model or experience with what you describe and have
been battling to create my own methodology, with some significant but
still limited success.
I would very much appreciate tips/guidelines/references from you if
possible.
Thanks"

"I really appreciated your comments on teaching grammar versus language
in the schools.i'd love to know if you have more specific
suggestions for a first year english teacher teaching in a challenging
school, especially in regards to materials. i have been using music
and poems to model grammar but the rest of the staff still wants me to
cover all the grammar points. I have found that the students write
more freely and correctly when they hear and read the modals and
don't do the endless grammar exercises that i'm supposed to give them
and sometimes "forget" to.

i remember learning spanish in high school mostly through music and a
really amusing show called Destinos. i want to make language fun
again for them so they want to learn it. i'd appreciate so much any
help you can offer."

"I fully agree with you!! Kol Hakavod. shabbat shalom"

The two critical comments so far are the following:

"It's true Israeli students don't like grammar the reason
for this is that they are spoiled rotten and don't like to exert
any effort -which is a shame."

"1. If the "audio-lingual" method had been as successful for everyone
as you imply it certainly wouldn't have been allowed to more
or less die out as it has. It is successful for certain types of
learners, but obviously, as has been proven, all our students learn
in different ways therefore it is a little naive to think that it would
work for everyone.

2. Bear in mind that not all students are able to pick up languages
simply by hearing them and watching TV, only certain types of
learners. Most of our students watch hours and hours of TV
in English and it doesn't always help them. In fact, with the amount
of English heard on TV and radio according to your theory all our
pupils should know English without us having to teach them anything!

3. Your letter actually contradicts itself..you say don't teach
grammar and then go on to say "My method was to teach grammar,
do exercises in class and appropriate homework....."
Is that not teaching grammar?

4. I don't doubt your success with teaching weak students for the
bagrut.=A0 I believe that it has been proved that if the teacher is
enthusiastic and believes in the method he chooses he is likely to
be successful whatever the method.

5. Grammar is an integral part of the language. I agree with you
that I don't believe it helps to teach pure grammar to very weak
students at all. Infact it has been proven with research that the
best way to improve knowledge of the language is to widen the pupils'
vocabulary and that should be the goal when teaching those kids in
particular. However, when talking about advanced students who
have to write a sophisticated essay as part of their bagrut it is essential
to give them instruction in specific grammar points in order to help them
improve their style and prevent common mistakes that happen because
of mother tongue interference.

6. With your driving comparism, remember driving is an extremely
practical physical action, and it is tested in the practical physical
sense. Our student's bagrut is a "sit down read and write" test
not very practical at all. Driving lessons won't help a kid pass his
"theory" test.....he has to sit on his butt and learn the material!

Hope you aren't offended but I felt I had to write this as your letter
was full of very off hand generalizations which kind of bothered me.
In addition the salary of a teacher is low whether you are a "male"
or a "female". I think the point you are making is that if it is to
be the main source of income then working two schools is necessary,
nothing to do with being a man or a woman!"

----------------------------------

Allow me to point out that the best period to teach language is that
of a child's formative years.

Every method that does the job right is a good method. But than, what
is a "good job"?

Not all methods are successful with all teachers. A teacher must choose
his or hers method.

A successful teacher MUST be creative and MUST NOT be afraid to
test changes and to apply these to his/her work.

You, as a teacher, must feel independent so as to do your job well.

A successful teacher progresses in his/her profession by learning,
testing and applying knowledge and experience gained.

Co-operate with your colleagues but yet remember that you have your
own talents and abilities which are unique only to you. Thus, don't forget
nor be afraid to act independently within that group.

-------------------------------------

Before I answer the calls for suggestions, help and ideas I would like
to propose that creative teachers learn about various teaching methods
which are introduced on the Net.

One simple course of action is to surf for: esl grammar exercises,
esl reading comprehension, esl listening comprehension and so on.
The possibilities are endless.

I have chosen reading material for those who are interested in what is
going on in the "global village"

http://iteslj.org/t/
http://www-writing.berkeley.edu/TESL-EJ/ej24/f1.html
http://www.njcu.edu/CILL/vol3/strother.html
http://coe.sdsu.edu/people/jmora/ALMMethods.htm#ALM
http://www.cal.org/resources/faqs/RGOs/methods.html
http://coe.sdsu.edu/people/jmora/Pages/TrendsL2.htm
http://www.saskschools.ca/curr_content/hutt/esl/index.html
http://www.educ.utas.edu.au/users/tle/JOURNAL/Articles/Wong/Wong.htm

I thank you all for your comments. Be well.

Howard Hanan Sibirsky

Visit the ETNI site - http://www.etni.org
Send a message to the ETNI list: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Send queries and questions to: ask@xxxxxxxx