[etni] Re: etni poll

  • From: Graham Richards <grichards03@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:41:09 +0200

There are only two official languages in Israel: Hebrew and Arabic
English is not an official language.

The main law governing language policy is the 82nd paragraph of the
“Palestine Order in Council” issued on August 14, 1922, for the
British Mandate of Palestine:

"All Ordinances, official notices and official forms of the Government
and all official notices of local authorities and municipalities in
areas to be prescribed by order of the High Commissioner, shall be
published in English, Arabic and Hebrew."

This law, like most other laws of the British Mandate, was adopted in
the State of Israel, subject to certain amendments published by the
provisional legislative branch on May 19, 1948. The amendment
(paragraph 15-b) states that:

"Any order in the law which requires the use of the English language
is hereby abolished."