[etni] Re: cds for practice

  • From: AYALA RIVLIN <ayalarivlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sharontzu5@xxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:39:11 +0000

I think its extremely improtant for students with hakraat sheelon to practice
the same way they take tests, especially since it's not so complicated for us
to make.

I have been making cds for two years already. It's easier and less time
consuming than making cassettes, provided that you need several copies. I
usually save the text on one track and the questions on another track, but the
cds that were sent on the day of the bagrut had each paragraph or so on a
separate track which made it even easier. On the whole my students learned the
advantages of cds and now prefer them. This year we got the necessary software
(Audacity) and hardware for the whole staff to record and burn cds at school. I
recommend it to everyone. You will see the advantages over tapes once you get
used to it.

Another benefit of this method is that you have the tests stored for future
use. Next time you need a cd, just mix and match and burn.

Have a great year,

Ayala Rivlin

Ulpanat Orot Modiin

> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:23:05 +0200
> From: sharontzu5@xxxxxxx
> Subject: [etni] cds for practice
> To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> A lot of teachers have been expressing concern about preparing CDs for the
> kids to practice on.
>
> To be honest, I really don't think this is necessary. I think that our
> students know how to work a CD player. I did tell Mr. HaLevi how important it
> is to divide the exam into tracks and I'm sure Judy is aware of that. (If I
> remember correctly, some schools used CDs on an experimental basis last year,
> and I think they were divided into tracks. I also don't think they had any
> problems of CD players which couldn't read the media.) I mean the student
> just has to put the CD into the machine and push play, and use arrows to jump
> forward and backward. A student who buys a new CD player can certainly
> practice with it using any music disk, and if the student brings a radio-CD
> player from home, he/she will certainly know how to use it. There is no
> significant difference between doing the exam with a tape and doing it with a
> CD except that the latter is easier to navigate.
>
> So, I think that teachers should feel free to continue to use WHATEVER MEDIA
> IS EASIER FOR THEM for SCHOOL testing - whether it is tapes, or CDs or even
> MP3 players. Just inform the parents what the child needs to have (CD player
> for the bagrut and whatever for school testing). Encourage graduating
> students to pass their "equipment" on to other students. I think its enough
> that we, as English teachers, are preparing personal media to begin with!
> Using tapes we've collected over the past 5 or 6 years for school testing is
> a great labour saving device - one we should feel free to use.
> ** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org
> or - http://www.etni.org.il **
> ** for help - ask@xxxxxxxx **
> ** to post to this list - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx **

Windows Live Hotmail: Your friends can get your Facebook updates, right from
Hotmail®.
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/social-network-basics.aspx?ocid=PID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_4:092009