[etni] cds for practice

  • From: Sharon Tzur <sharontzu5@xxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:23:05 +0200

A lot of teachers have been expressing concern about preparing CDs for the kids
to practice on.

To be honest, I really don't think this is necessary. I think that our students
know how to work a CD player. I did tell Mr. HaLevi how important it is to
divide the exam into tracks and I'm sure Judy is aware of that. (If I remember
correctly, some schools used CDs on an experimental basis last year, and I
think they were divided into tracks. I also don't think they had any problems
of CD players which couldn't read the media.)  I mean the student just has to
put the CD into the machine and push play, and use arrows to jump forward and
backward. A student who buys a new CD player can certainly practice with it
using any music disk, and if the student brings a radio-CD player from home,
he/she will certainly know how to use it. There is no significant difference
between doing the exam with a tape and doing it with a CD except that the
latter is easier to navigate.

So, I think that teachers should feel free to continue to use WHATEVER MEDIA IS
EASIER FOR THEM for SCHOOL testing - whether it is tapes, or CDs or even MP3
players. Just inform the parents what the child needs to have (CD player for
the bagrut and whatever for school testing). Encourage graduating students to
pass their "equipment" on to other students. I think its enough that we, as
English teachers, are preparing personal media to begin with! Using tapes we've
collected over the past 5 or 6 years for school testing is a great labour
saving device - one we should feel free to use.