[etni] The Latest

  • From: Louise - <lu_mmm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:00:05 -0400

Dear All,
I'm in Washington DC visiting my family. I just opened The Washington Post and
saw a headline: High Schools Should Dare to Measure Differently. So, here is a
summary.
The article talks about how colleges are using exams that measure analysis and
critical thinking and its application to the high schools. The exams are around
100 minutes long and on-line. There are no multiple choice questions. The
students are given a task that presents a problem. They are then given a number
of things to read - an article, memos, letters, reports. Their job is to write
a composition justifying a recommendation/solution to the problem. The kids are
graded on clarity, persuasiveness, balance, and other factors. The idea is to
measure academic worth, not with SAT averages, but by how well each student has
thought through a complicated problem. In doing so, it is believed that it will
force a major change in the way high school is taught - and "not a minute to
soon."
I would enjoy that!
Louise
Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft?s powerful SPAM protection.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/210850552/direct/01/
** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal