[etni] Re: The Facebook thread leads to a general question

  • From: קובי <kobilavy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:00:40 +0300

I don't know why people mark facebook as a "bad" site. As if the students
who wanted to surf to other "bad" sites couldn’'t do it without facebook
(come on guys we all know they were there before facebook and will be long
after facebook).
I think we need to take our English teaching one step further and use the
tools that are already available.
Taking the students out of the platform and using any other software,
program, google docs or whatever will be completely missing the points.
What my students love is that fact that I extend their learning experience
and bring it to the place where they practically live! Guys, kids today do
nothing on the computer besides listen to music (or watch downloaded movies)
and BE ON FACEBOOK. So if once in a while a message comes up from their
English teacher and they know they have to reply to it in English I don't
see any bad in that.
As far as privacy is concerned - true there are issues here to look at but
you know what kids are exposed to so many things on the Internet (not only
on Facebook) so what are we worried about? That the kids in or school see
the pictures from our last holiday? That they see the messages I post on my
wall to my sister or the my old high school buddy?
I know there are more issues to be concerned about but we have to look at
the bigger picture.
I think that the educators make use of Facebook as a positive enriching
tool, the more students understand that there's much more to do there.
By the way, on a page of one of my classes they already send general
messages to each other (such as things their home room teacher wants to tell
them) because they know the whole class will see it and what's the beauty of
it?? They do it in English :)
Hag Sameach
Kobi