[etni] Re: Question - Which is better to teach first - Grammar

  • From: <Leo.Selivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 08:37:21 -0000

Don't remember if it appears in the Longman Grammar of Written and Spoken
English or if it was Lewis (of the Lexical Approach fame) who said that 70% of
the time we use Simple forms (both Present and Past) so teach your students
Present and Past simple and they will be correct - in terms of grammar - 70% of
the time.

You also might want to look at this blog post:
http://kalinago.blogspot.com/2012/01/fixed-acquisition-order-no-evidence.html
________________________________

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 17:50:46 +0200
Subject: [etni] Re: etni Digest V10 #61
From: Avraham Roos <avrahamroos@xxxxxxxxx>

> I don't know if looking at grammar books can help here.

A quick glance at my bookshelf showed that Grammar Power (UPP) starts with
Present Simple while Develop Your Grammar (ECB) starts with Present
Progressive.
Maybe the *order *itself is less important that what else you want to teach
in this unit.

Avraham Roos

> Subject: [etni] Fwd: re: Question - Which is better to teach first -
> Grammar

------------------------------

The British Council is the United Kingdom's international organisation for
educational opportunities and cultural relations. We are a registered charity;
209131 (England and Wales) SC037733 (Scotland). We create international
opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and build trust
between them worldwide. We call this cultural relations.

This message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it. The
British Council accepts no liability for loss or damage caused by software
viruses and you are advised to carry out a virus check on any attachments
contained in this message.