[etni] Penalised Twice?

  • From: Golomb <golomb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 23:40:11 +0200

I've been sitting back and reading the recent spate of letters complaining
about frustrations and confusion with the NBA and projects.
I predicted these problems a long time ago and, as you know, I've been actively
trying to do something about the situation.
It's obvious that the current situation can't continue.  I hope that something
will come out of the meeting that I attended (and reported on Etni) and which
is written about in the latest issue of Kesher Ayin.
The project problem is greater than I expected.  I have a question to pose.
There are some students who don't do their projects.  They are penalised by
their English teacher because they get 0, which constitutes 30% of one of their
modules.
However, they are penalised AGAIN on the oral bagrut because 60% of the oral
test is based on a discussion about their project.

I think that it is grossly unfair that a student who doesn't do the project
should be penalised TWICE.    The oral test is to test oral skills, therefore
the currect system is totally unfair.  Wouldn't it be better to return to the
old system of monologues?

I also agree with many teachers who have written to complain that the questions
on the modules seem to confuse good, English speaking students.  I would prefer
more challenging texts with straightforward questions that test comprehension.

Nina