[etni] One test per semester

  • From: elizabeth yuval <maore29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 09:49:43 +0200

My 2 cents: Giving one test and a couple of quizzes per semester is far from
adequate. Maybe if you are an experienced teacher and have 8 kids in class it
would work. What if you are inexperienced and have 38 and have just discovered
that most of the homework you give is worthless because they copy it from each
other during breaks? Regardless of what I think of the community effort tests
seem to turn into unless there are 4 different versions, exactly what kind of
extraordinary pressure are these poor beleaguered kids under? I went to school
too, to an standard public high school, and if I had a history test, a French
test and a math test the next day I simply stayed up until one in the morning
studying. Someone, please, explain to me what is so tragic or horrifying about
a little academic pressure that these tender young souls have to be protected
from it? So there are two exams tomorrow. Not, not tomorrow, heaven forefend,
two in the same week (if they spent half as much time studying as they did
arguing about what the teacher is and is not "allowed" to do, they would ace
all their exams). So what? If they watched a little less TV, downloaded a
little less and tied up the phone a little less, there would be enough time to
reread Act One of All My Sons and learn all those valences, or whatever it is
they learn these days.
Elizabeth Yuval