[etni] Re: Matkonet

  • From: "Adele Raemer and Laurie Levy" <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ETNI'" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:07:08 +0200

I also feel having a matkonet is still justified.

I can and do use old tests and the tests from mock bagrut exams for what I
call "work with grade". Now, in the second semester, I am aiming to do this
every 2 - 3 weeks, and the weight will be the same as of a test.

We have had a whole discussion in our school recently about what we want
from our tests. Our school gives us 2 test dates per semester. A pupil in
our school is not supposed to have more than 2 tests weekly (in all the
subjects together) . I believe this is a healthy attitude, because for a
test, I want the kid to STUDY! If they are bombarded with tests,  they will
not have time for that.  However, the bagrut is NOT something that the kids
need to study for - it is something we work on - developing their skills for
access to information and presentation - in class all the time. For the two
tests per semester, I want to test them on things I have TAUGHT them in
class, and that they DO need to study for (for example, grammar, or
literature).

The fact that the modular exams are so short, allows me to give them a test
from the books or an old exam, within the double lesson. I do NOT need a
special time put aside - they will NOT be studying for it, and this allows
me to get a good picture of how they are doing on the module, and build
their yearly grade in a way that WILL reflect their ability and expected
results. The "work with grade" is given under testing conditions, and has
the same weight as a test does (as I wrote above).  The 30% for the
literature/ extensive reading/project will be the additional element that
will reflect their effort, responsibility and opportunities to THINK. And
let's face it: the bagrut is NOT really an exam that encourages creative
thinking. Nor is it really a test worth teaching to, as Dr. Ofra Inbar
defines tests. It is a test that serves the purposes of those who demand it
(Bd o f Ed, Universities, etc.) It teaches them to hone their testing
skills- which they DO need in our society.. but I digress.

So why do I STILL believe that a matkonet is important? Basically, as a
dress rehearsal for all the kids, and most importantly for our LD pupils (of
which we have many). We feel it is important that the kids being tested
orally, be tested on the matkonet by the same person who will be testing
them on the bagrut exam. We set aside the time in the schedule, get the
teachers replacements in the classroom so that they can test orally, and try
to have it as close as possible to the actual testing conditions. The kids
are a bit more nervous (which is also good) and, all around - we feel - gets
them ready for the actual bagrut day (as Judy wrote).

Adele

  _____