[etni] Matkonet

  • From: Judi Granit <judiavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:33:53 +0200

I just wanted to add my 2 cents :-)

I believe having a matkonet is a very valuable tool.

1)  If carried out correctly it simulates the "bagrut" exam in terms of strict
exam conditions, timing, and more importantly invokes "stress" hormones in our
students.  In my experience most (certainly not all, there are exceptions)
students do a little better at the matkonot because of the stress factor.
Stress is not always a negative thing and for most students it seems to help
them focus and concentrate.
( I wonder if this effect isn't lost by increasing the number of matkonot ?)

2) When stress is a problem for students the matkonet helps desensitize them
and get them used to the bagrut-exam taking conditions.

3) I have a different "method" for evaluating my students over the year in
terms of choosing tests.  I "dafka" use old bagrut tests throughout the year to
test my students and get some kind of average grade for them and then on the
"matkonet" I actually go through the practice books and try to choose the
easiest and most straightforward in order to help my students.  This way I
don't have to worry about cheating and all those students who run to private
teachers to go over the last bagrut exams before their matkonet.    There only
needs to be one "matkonet" this way and the kids are less stressed as they know
I will do my best to choose something fair.  In the final grade both the
average class test bagrut grade and the matkonet are figured in separately +
the lit, quizzes, extensive reading and bonus for attendance.

I don't think a "matkonet" should replace the overall grades of students on
module practice throughout the year, but used correctly it can be a helpful
tool for preparing for the real exam and as an additional means of assessment.

Judi G.