[etni] Re: Literature and Thinking

  • From: Laura Shashua <lasha205@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Graniewitz <graniewitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 17:52:49 +0200

David (and ETNI),
Yes, you are absolutely right about "cubbyholing", but research has shown
that the reason maths is maths, English is English and history is history is
only because the system is built that way.

To quote Beane (1991): ?To students, the typical curriculum presents an
endless array of facts and skills that are unconnected, fragmented, and
disjointed? It is time we faced the fact that subject areas or disciplines
of knowledge around which the curriculum has traditionally been organized
are actually territorial spaces carved out by academic scholars for their
own purposes?When we are confronted in real life with a puzzling situation,
we don?t ask which part is mathematics, which part history, and so
on." *Educational
Leadership *October 1991, 9-13.

Obviously a fair amount of deconstruction would need to be involved, as well
as a rather large paradigm shift on the part of teachers, pupils, parents
and authorities, but this doesn't preclude taking small steps in that
direction. The Alice study morning that I am planning will be aimed at a low
level 7th grade heterogeneous class (i.e. literacy problems in Hebrew AND
English as well as pupils who are competent in both languages). I have no
idea how it'll work out. I'll let you know.

Laura

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 4:37 PM, David Graniewitz <graniewitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi Laura,
> There is another variable that you didn't mention in your
> letter that is the type of pupils that you teach. I don't know
> what the pupils are like in your school but I can imagine that
> an interdisiplinary curriculum would flumux many of the weaker
> pupils in the system who need to have everything neatly
> cubbyholed. These kids expect to be taught English in a lesson
> that is labeled "English". What this means is anyone's guess
> but the moment that they feel that we are dealing with stuff
> that does not constitute "English" pandemonium breaks loose.
>
> Regards
> David Graniewitz
> Jerusalem (and ex Stanmore BBYO -- just like Laura.)

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal