[etni] HOTs debate is cold

  • From: "Adele P. Raemer " <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Etni'" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 10:29:36 +0300

Dear All,

I agree with Daniel on one thing: The HOTS debate IS cold! But it is more
than that - it is counterproductive. Here everyone is - getting all worked
up and hot(s) under the collar, and sounding off (and it IS important that
there is the ETNI list so that people can blow off stem, discuss different
opinions, and make their opinions be known AMONG THE ENTI COMMUNITY).
However THOSE are the key words: AMONG THE ETNI COMMUNITY.

I have come to the point where I simply see something about HOTS and I click
"delete" (except for this one - which I didn't so much as read as much as
use the subject title) to say:  in my opinion, the "discussion" of this
topic on this list has played itself out. Some of us are in favor, others
are against. The bottom line is: the program is beginning this year for 10th
grade students. For those of you who object, (and you have organized
yourselves very nicely to discuss among yourselves - as well as on this
list- why you disagree, what you would change, etc.) the next responsible
step (and the only step that could have ANY real influence) is to sit
together, decide how YOU recommend the program be adjusted, and ask for a
meeting with the Steering Committee.

Of course, in order to do this intelligently, and to prove good will and
actual understanding of WHY you oppose WHAT you are opposed to and how you
suggest it be changed, would be to do so through knowledge and an intimate
understanding of the program .... which is of course impossible because the
Irgun has forbidden you from taking the program and forbidden you from
trying it out in the classroom (which is really, IMHO what is getting those
opposed to the program, "stuck").

As a teacher trainer, a counselor and someone active in the training of the
program, it saddens me that such a group of intelligent teachers, who I
really do admire and respect, have allowed themselves to be stuck in such an
impossible corner by a union leader whose abilities and intentions I frankly
am not impressed with.

I am not having a discussion here. I severely disapprove of the unpleasant
tone that has developed on this topic. It lacks respect and trust and
collegiality that has always been the personality of this group. I believe
it stems from the growing frustration of a feeling that people have of not
being heard. But guys - you WILL not be "heard" here.  Hence, I am simply
writing a suggestion, regarding how things might actually be accomplished.

Shabbat Shalom and Shana Tova
Adele