[etni] HOTs!

  • From: Sumartin <Sumartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 11:21:25 +0300

It seems to me that Avi is not a native English speaker because he doesn't
understand nuanced English.  If he did, he would know that his tone is
autocratic whereas those who are upset with him are seriously upset and maybe
even angry - but politely angry.
It seems to me that the greatest advance in English for our students was the
extension of television programming from just the one and then the two channels
of talking heads.  Unfortunately, I have seen the differences between students
who have television at home and those that don't and between the Russian
speaking population who have Russian language programs as the primary
television at home and those who come from Hebrew speaking families who have a
great deal of English coming from their television sets even if members of the
family are in fact reading subtitles.

In any case, as a retired English teacher, I will no longer work either as a
"mimalet makom" or a volunteer English teacher because I am simply not prepared
to get involved in HOTS which seems to be more concerned with jargon than with
teaching English through literature.

Sue