[etni] Fw:re: Livnat wants schools to go 'back to basics'

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:09:20 +0200

From: "Shelley Cooper" <shelleycooper2002@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: [etni] Fw: Livnat wants schools to go 'back to basics'

I applaud the general concept of "back to basics", as long as we are careful
about what we mean by that.  I do agree that students take their studies
more seriously if they have a respect for authority, both parents and
teachers.  But will a school shirt and standing up when the teacher enters
the room be enough?  That's just the tip of the iceberg.  How about teaching
respect for classmates as well, such as not interrupting, not calling out,
not destroying other people's property, etc. etc, etc.  How about assigning
homework with the expectation that it will be done, and ON TIME?  This is
all part of the discipline process.

How about quiet reading time in class, with responsibility for expression
about what was read?  By this I mean, a combination of traditional written
book reports, discussion groups, oral presentations, artwork, playacting,
dance, etc.

Memorization of canonical texts and historical quotes?  Waste of time.  How
about reading and organized discussion, or other appropriate activities to
reinforce the message.  Historical quotes are great, as long as students are
also exposed to the context under which they were said or written, and they
have a chance to react to the meaning.  Rote memorization will accomplish
nothing but resentment.

More homework?  I believe that if we make the most out of our hours in
school, the need for homework will be virtually eliminated.  I personally
would prefer to see my children do project work associated with their
studies, and to have more real life learning experiences outside of the
classroom.  Assigning more homework is only going to create a need for
teachers to check it, and I know from experience that Israeli teachers don't
check homework, period (at least not my childrens' teachers).  Children
should be doing classwork, under teacher supervision.  If there are weak
students who need more practice, then the teacher should work with the
parent to assign the extra work and to monitor progress.  The deepest
learning comes from applying material and concepts learned in school to real
life situations.

I could go on for a long time about this, but I won't continue to bore you.
I pray that this effort will go a bit deeper that school shirts in an array
of colors.

Shelley Cooper