[etni] Fwd: sites for false starters

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 22:17:31 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Judy Freedman <judyfreedman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: sites for false starters

First of all I would like to thank the ETNI community for once coming
through and generously making suggestions and offering ideas. I am
also answering within the forum because I received many requests to
pass on information. This is what I originally sent:

"I have two 7th grade pupils who have almost no English knowledge and

even less motivation. I need a computer program (preferably free, but
if we need to pay, so

be it) that will interest them and hopefully advance them."

Most of the suggestions were for reading reinforcement and vocabulary
practice, which is not much good when the pupils don't have any
vocabulary to start with. The best site was ECB Goals 1 & 2 which are
specifically made for the Israeli market and this age group. (I have
to give credit here, when I had a problem getting into the site, I
wrote ECB an email, and got a response within half an hour when a very
patient Susan worked with me until the site was usable.)

Other good sites were :-

poenglishcake.com (for basic reading and sounds. The pupil can work
independently)

and starfall.com, but here they presume basic vocabulary which most
pupils do not have.

I found the British Council useless, all those games are for
reinforcement only, but they do not pre-teach the words. I also found
their speech much too fast (and I was born in London).

Thank you all again and good luck

Judy

(Now all I need are computers and electricity. But that's another story).
** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/
** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org
** post to ETNI List - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx