[etni] Fwd: re: progressive or simple?

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 06:28:40 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marlene <marlenegay@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: progressive or simple?

Well, how're you doing - has become the American lingo for How are you
(at least according to TV's Joey in Friends). Also, where're you
living now? What're you doing with yourself these days? Where're you
working? Where're you going/rushing to?
But I think that Hebrew speakers use: "am, is, are" when not called
for, attaching it to the subject pronoun by force of habit, e.g., "It
is depends" or "I am went" or "They are must go." I think that it's
dafka the copula use in the present that is nonexistent in Hebrew
which becomes an automatic response to add the copula and then
over-applied  when they hear the subject pronoun, I.e., I - am, You -
are, She - is, etc.
Marlene