[etni] Fwd: re: grammar question

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:20:23 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: einav nofim <einav_nofim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: grammar question

One of my mentors (can't remember who) once told me that the rule is
that you can add the possessive "'s" only to animated things like
people or animals, so your sentence is right even according to this
strict rule.

Rivka wrote:
> Since we're talking grammar - here's one to run by you all.
>
> A few weeks ago a potential client asked me why I had written him that
> "I am a colleague of X's from BB College". He himself spoke rather
> broken English, but insisted that in the course he had taken he had
> been told this is wrong. I have mulled this over in my head since,
> and have come to the conclusion that this is a matter of style? I
> wouldn't say: "This is the cat of my daughter" but I could definitely
> write something like the above. I think.
>
> Has anyone some insight on this?
** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/
** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org